Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Love for Eternity



This Saturday, Kyle and I will celebrate six years of marriage. We have known each other for ten years and it blows my mind to think of how much we have changed since the summer of 2005.

On a superficial level, he has expanded his palate and I have gotten loads better with money. He knows the difference between a blouse and a t-shirt and I can actually cook a delicious and nutritious meal for our family. Together we have deepened our faith and our understanding of our Heavenly Father and Savior.

Returned home from his 2-year mission to St. Louis
Kyle stretches my understanding and helps me to see life from a more merciful perspective. He loves unconditionally while building me up to believe that there is ALWAYS room for growth. With him, I feel like I can actually become the best version of myself.

In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we worship often in temples which are reserved for special and sacred ordinances such as marriage. We were married in the temple and believe that being sealed (married) in the temple provides the promise that we can be together forever, not just till death, but beyond that.
A visit to the Salt Lake Temple
In many rooms within the temple you will find mirrors on opposing walls. If you stand between the mirrors, you can see yourself and whatever else is between go on and on and on, a physical way to gain a glimpse of what eternity is.

Right after being married, we were given a moment in the sealing room together to stare into that infinite and eternal space. I stood with Kyle by my side and saw us go on forever. It was a good sight and I felt a peace and reassurance standing with him. Our love could be eternal if we let it.


                                                                 Right before and then after having a child.

Over the years I have come to notice that hard feelings can also be eternal if we choose. We decide what exists between the two mirrors of eternity. We can choose love, mercy, kindness, forgiveness, and respect or we can choose resentment, bitterness, and annoyance. What we choose is what will go on and we have to choose together.

James' burial.

It is not always easy to do this, but it is simple. When you are angry, choose love. When you are hurt, choose forgiveness. When you are annoyed, choose respect. Choose the eternal perspective. Try to see yourself and your relationship through God's eyes stretching into eternity. Let Him lead and guide you towards knowing how to choose love when it feels the hardest to choose.

I am grateful for six years of marriage. Six years of stretching and growing together. Six years of challenging each other to become better than before. Six years of love.



No comments:

Post a Comment